Goal: you will know what a Static Front page is, and you will be able to set up a Static Front Page on your WordPress site.
Pre-requisites: you need to know the difference between Pages and Post.
By default, WordPress displays a list of Posts on the home page of your site. This list of posts is automatically updated as soon as new posts are published, thus this is not static. Also, there is no need to create any page in order to have WordPress displaying this list of posts.
A Static Front Page is a specific Page used as the Home Page of the site.
Reminder: to create a page, go to Pages > Add New
- Front Page: (if not already created) create the Page you want to use as the Static Front Page.
- Posts Page: (if not already created) create an empty page. Give it a Title that will be used on top of your posts list. This step is mandatory as you are modifying WordPress default setting. Any other content other than Title will no be diplayed at all on this specific page.
- Setting: go to Settings > Reading, then ‘Front page displays’.
- Static Page setting: select A static page (instead of the default Your latests posts).
- Front Page setting: in ‘Front page’ list, select the page you want for Static Front Page.
- Posts Page setting: in ‘Posts page’ list, select the empty page you created. Do not select any page with content, as it will not be displayed.
- Save your settings by clicking ‘Save Changes’ button.
Connect to your site home page: you should now see the Page you selected.